The past two weekends I made quite a bit of progress on the property.

Pumphouse with solar power

Pumphouse with solar power

Last weekend I did the lion’s share of the solar electric installation. I got the battery box hung on the north side (out of the way of traffic), the control panel set up inside, and the solar panel connected. It was on the ground all week since I didn’t have time to mount it on the roof.

I also got a door installed on the shed. We found this door in a dumpster. I bought a door frame kit from one of the home stores and the installation was really easy. I had better luck with the door frame kit and a salvaged door that I had with the second-hand pre-hung door we got for the pumphouse. It needs a deadbolt and threshold but otherwise is good to go.

Shed with door

Shed with door

The only trouble with the door is that the shed is so full of cabinets that it is impossible to open the door more than about half way. In order to get anything large in or out we will have to remove the door from its hinges. We could really use more storage!

This weekend I finished the solar install by mounting the solar panel on the roof, running the outside wire in conduit. It’s probably not necessary since the wire is rated for outdoor use but it is to code, and I figure I’m not smarter than code so I’ll do it the way I’m supposed to. It also looks nice and finished that way. For more information on the solar electric system, see my post on Fieldlines, the Otherpower.com discussion board.

I also (mostly) finished painting the Pumphouse. It still needs a little touch-up here and there, and the battery box needs to be painted the cream base color (it’s primer white at the moment) but all in good time.

Pumphouse kitchen

Pumphouse kitchen

The other two tasks I completed this weekend were hanging cabinets, setting up a temporary kitchen inside the Pumphouse, and putting an awning over the ventilation opening in the west gable end. I don’t have a picture of the awning because I finished it after dark Saturday night, right before I left.

Whew! Lots of fun! Next week I intend to work on the loft inside the pumphouse. It needs a finished ceiling (currently the foam panel insulation is exposed and is a fire hazard) and a loft ladder.

Advertisements